The power of positivity
- Ensuring workers are appreciated and thanked for their efforts.
- Organising mentoring or coaching of less experienced staff by more senior employees, who can guide and assist them with career development.
- Encouraging workers to leave the workplace at lunchtimes for a change of scenery. If workers must eat in a lunch room, consider brightening it with new paint, pictures, new furniture, and the addition of appliances and/or vending machines.
- Encouraging employees to think creatively about ways to improve the business, and to develop these ideas. This shows staff that they are valued and their ideas are important. It also allows them to play to their strengths in taking on “pet” projects.
Mediation and the workplace
- Giving staff a say in how they can better work together.
- Giving staff a sense of responsibility and involvement in reaching a resolution.
- Providing a starting point for defining professional conduct and appropriate interactions.
- Discussing what support structures are needed and implementing those structures.
- Developing systems for avoiding and handling future conflicts.
WISE Workplace engages experienced mediators and psychologists to work with clients to bring about positive outcomes for teams. Call us on 1300 685 580 for more information, or visit www.wiseworkplace.com.au.