This year’s theme is: every child, in every community, needs a fair go.
That includes children and young people who receive services from organisations, and those who volunteer or are employed in organisations.
So, what can your business do to play your part in ensuring the safety and wellbeing of children and young people?
- Recruit safely – ensure that your methods for recruiting, screening, selection and onboarding are child-safe through effective policies and trained staff
- Educate – provide staff and volunteers with appropriate induction and ongoing training and professional development to keep up with child safety standards
- Communicate – clearly document and communicate codes of conduct and behavioural standards relating to children
- Engage – provide opportunities for children and young people to participate in the development of polices, programs and activities that affect them
- Create – accessible, child friendly processes which enable children and young people to participate, provide feedback, raise concerns and submit complaints
- Respond – ensure all concerns are investigated appropriately, and that appropriate action is taken at an individual and systemic level.
For more information about National Child Protection Week, visit https://www.napcan.org.au/